October 20, 2022 by Lazer Brody
The worlds #1 fitness exercise, walking, does just as much for soul as it does for body. This is the only fitness activity that the whole family can participate in together, from 2-year-old toddler Mikey to 102-year-old great grandfather Morris. This is an activity that’s joint-and-muscle friendly as well as fantastic for your heart and lungs. It’s walking. If we add the technique of brisker strides and more vigorous hand and arm motion, we move up to the power walking category and burn all the more calories, just like we do in any other cardio exercise.
If you want to maximize the benefits of walking and prevent injuries, then your form and posture must be proper. Like in any other exercise, the better the form, the more beneficial the exercise. Use this form & posture checklist to evaluate yourself:
1. Keep your head upright and eyes forward. Texting or looking at your smartphone destroys this important element of good walking form.
2. Engage your core by pulling your navel in as if you’re trying to make it touch your spine.
3. Imagine that a string from heaven is linked to the crown of your skull pulling your head up and extending your neck. This method is a strong remedy to the kyphosis that people develop from sitting at a desk all day long.
4. Drop your shoulders and enable the back of your neck to touch the collar of your shirt. Your neck muscles should be relaxed.
5. Don’t slump forward; if you feel like you are slumping, readjust your body position so that you conform to the above four points.
6. Swing your arms gently; the more you add arm motion, the faster you’ll walk and the more calories you’ll burn in a particular time period. Don’t go crazy though – your hands shouldn’t rise higher than your collarbone.
7. Walk with feet aligned in a straight manner rather than waddling from side to side. To do this, make sure your hips are moving forward rather than side to side.
8. Don’t tiptoe; with every step, land on your heel and roll your foot forward. Comfortable shoes are a must!
1. Great for burning belly fat.
2. Anyone can do it!
3. Lowers risk of hip fracture, especially with women.
4. Great for heart and lung health.
5. Wonderful for those who cannot or may not engage in more strenuous activities.
6. Fantastic for mental functioning, especially concentration, decision-making, self-composure and memory.
7. Wards off anxiety and depression while improving self-esteem.
8. Retards aging and increases longevity.
If we add personal prayer to our walking routine, and speak to the Almighty while sharing everything that’s on our heart with Him, we have the greatest body-mind-soul health enhancer on earth. Try it; although we recommend 60-minutes a day, there are huge benefits for 30 minutes daily on up.
Few activities are so fantastic for marital bliss than walking together. It’s quality one-on-one time. Guys, you’d be surprised that your wife would prefer walking with you three times a week to a fur coat or a new car. Walking with your wife conveys to her that she’s important to you and that you cherish your time together. Go for it!
KEEP ON WALKING – you’ll love it. Every blessing, LB